Assessment of knowledge of the association between periodontitis and systemic conditions among clinical medical and nursing students

Knowledge of periodontitis and systemic conditions among student

Authors

Keywords:

Periodontitis, Medical students,, Nursing students, Systemic conditions

Abstract

Background: Periodontitis has been linked to some systemic conditions. The knowledge of this association by qualified health professionals and those in training is very vital in holistic patient care.

Objective: To assess knowledge of the association between periodontitis and systemic conditions among clinical medical and nursing students

Method: This was a descriptive cross-sectional study conducted among clinical medical and clinical nursing students of the University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. A total of 200 questionnaires were administered with 156 properly filled. Section A of the questionnaire had questions on the sociodemographic characteristics of the respondents, while section B included questions on the assessment of participants’ awareness and knowledge regarding the possible link between periodontitis and some systemic conditions. Data analysis was done using SPSS version 25.0 with p ? 0.05 considered statistically significant.

Results: A total number of 156 clinical medical and nursing students participated in the study, 99 (63.5%) were females, while the remaining 57 (36.5%) were males. The age range of the participants was 19-35 years with a mean age of 23.31 ± 2.50 years.   Of the 156 participants, 85 (54.5 %) were clinical medical students while 71 (45.5%) were clinical nursing students. 74.4% of the medical students and 35.7% of the nursing students knew that there was a possible link between periodontitis and diabetes mellitus (p=0.000). 54.9% of medical students and 30.0% of nursing students agreed that there is a possible link between periodontitis and cardiovascular disease (p=0.001). Using Bloom’s concept, 69 (81.2%) of the medical students and 53 (74.6%) of nursing students demonstrated low knowledge about the link between periodontitis and systemic conditions, 

Conclusion: There was an inadequate level of knowledge of the possible association between periodontitis and some systemic conditions among the participants. Hence, there is a need to include oral health education in the undergraduate curriculum of both medical and nursing students.

 

 

Author Biographies

Grace O ALADE

Department of Preventive and Social Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

Uwaila ALADE

Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Enugu State, Nigeria

Downloads

Published

2024-02-26